Safety - a core value
At Qatargas, safety is a core value that lies at the top of our priorities. We are committed to the safety of our employees, our contractors and our local communities. Qatargas pioneered the Incident & Injury Free (IIF) Programme which was introduced in 2002. It has seen over 60,000 employees and project contractors both in Doha and in downstream projects around the world, trained in safety principles and practices that firmly state ‘everyone has a right and responsibility to speak up to correct an unsafe situation.’
The IIF programme is endorsed and supported by Qatargas’ management team and is designed to encourage positive safety behaviour both in and outside of worksites. As part of the commitment to safety a special senior management committee was established with direct oversight for the Safety, Health, Environment and Quality programme of the company. This committee, chaired by the Chief Executive Officer, has overseen the implementation of a number of specially designed safety initiatives.
Some of the initiatives include:
- Development of an Electronic Permit to Work system
- Safe Equipment Isolation and Simultaneous Operations policies
- Introduction of Contractor Safety Management System and integration of contractors into safety programme and culture
- an updated process for job safety analysis, toolbox talks and TapRooT accident investigation model
- Introduction of newer, more stringent requirements for personal protective clothing for employees and contractors
- Community HSE awareness programs
The programme of initiatives and change has driven and continues to drive a transformation in people’s attitude and behaviour towards safety in all aspects of their work.